PressCoin is different. In order to get your hands around the size of this business opportunity, one has to take a step back.
The value of PressCoin isn’t a single platform or revenue stream. PressCoin is a protocol, shared infrastructure and services, reference implementations, and an open developer ecosystem coupled with a startup accelerator program.
– from What is PressCoin, Really? This article explains how the PressCoin tokens will service a $100B+ economy, and how to think about the size of the market opportunity.
The Broken News Media Economy
By this time in 2017, everyone knows that the rise of Facebook and Google and other such Internet platforms has indirectly cause the downfall of journalism and has subsequently weakened democracies around the world.
This has happened because the news media economy, a vital instrument in the flow of unbiased and useful information about our world has become dependent on others for its very survival. And given that economics is itself a field of incentives, when such an imbalances occurs in an ecosystem – the results can be predicted fairly easily – the imbalance is exploited by everyone, and any collateral damage becomes the tragedy of the commons.
Case in point: nearly 30% of the global ad industry (~$560B) is now digital (at about $170B) and around half of this is already taken by Facebook and Google. What’s more is that nearly all the growth in the digital ad market (the remaining 70% and growing), is moving entirely into Facebook/Google, making matters worse. The news media industry has been bleeding heavily for the past several years, with no major solutions in sight.